Baume & Mercier was founded as “Frères Baume” in 1830 by brothers Louis-Victor and Célestin Baume, who opened the watch dealership in Les Bois, a village in the Swiss Jura. By the late 19th century, the company had an established international reputation, and its timepieces had set accuracy records and won a number of timekeeping competitions.
In 1918, company director William Baume partnered with Paul Mercier to found “Baume & Mercier” in Geneva. The firm became specialized in manufacturing wristwatches, particularly unconventional “shaped” models that did not possess the traditional round form. In 1988, the Swiss watchmaker joined the Richemont group.